Egg retrieval difficulties
1 Replies
Hopful - August 27

I'm 41 and have gone through 1 IVF cycle where 4 eggs were retrieved, fertilized and implanted. Unfortunately, not pregnancy resulted. On the second attempt I was told they were unable to reach the ovaries to retrieve any eggs. The doctor said it was possible due to a fibroid. I had surgery, however, the doctor was unable to remove it because of where it was. On my last consultation the doctor wouldn't try again beause he said my ovaries were too high and the percentages were too low to get pregant. I then received a second opinion with the same result-high ovaries. Do I have any chance to get pregnant on my own? Would fertility supplements help me? Should I seek a third opinion?

B. Jacobs, M. D. - August 27

At the age of 41, your potential for an embryo, from your eggs, to implant is 6.1%. About 1/3 the potential if you were 31. Your risk of having a miscarriage from such a pregnancy is almost 35%. You also have a very high risk of delivering a child with an extra chromosome, if you actually get that far. Your best chance is to use an egg donor. That still does not address the potential problems caused by fibroids.
Good luck.

You must log in to reply.

Are you New to the forum? Sign Up Here! Already a member? Please login below.

Forgot your password?
Need Help?  
New to the forum?

Already a member?
Please login below.

Forgot your password?
Need Help?