egg retrieval
1 Replies
goksel - September 10

This is our first IVF cycle and I took my wife to her second US and E2 level test and we were told by the doctor that they can not get to her ovaries therefore we can not continue with IVF but they are going to try artificial insemination. My question is to you all about any known new technology or a way to retrieve eggs? she has got 4 days to take HCG and need an answer desperately.

She is 39 yrs old and she was pregnant on her own two times this year, first one was ectopic and caused her to lose one of her tubes and the second one was a regular pregnancy but at 8 weeks they did not hear heart beat so she had to have D&C done, Prior to all this she had a surgery to have septum removed in her uterus which would have caused early birth or baby to come back wards.

We have been married 12 years and she has never become pregnant naturally but miraculously she became pregnant on her own after the septum removal surgery despite the fact that she has PCOS and hypothyrodism but as I mentioned earlier both pregnancies were unsuccessfull. :'(

Now we are finally going through our first IVF cycle and we found out that she has some follicles but they can not get to it to retrieva the eggs, I do not understand how they can not get to her ovaries? at this day and age almost everything is possible I feel like they do not want to try hard enough not to hurt their stats for the hospital.

your responses greatly appreciated

Barry Jacobs, M. D. - September 10

In order to retrieve eggs, it is necessary to "see" the follicles in the ovaries. There are 2 ways to do that. In the early days, we used a laparoscope. Today we use ultrasound to guide the needle. It is a better technique, and less invasive. The only patients who I have been unable to adequately see ovaries on ultrasound were those whose ovaries wer high out of the pelvis because of scar tissue, or because of obesity. Certainly polycystic ovaries and associated obesity can push ovareis out of the pelvis, and beyond the reach of vaginal ultrasound capability. For more information about polycystic ovaries, I invite you to see our web site, <www.texasfertility.com>.
Good luck.

You must log in to reply.

Are you New to the forum? Sign Up Here! Already a member? Please login below.

Forgot your password?
Need Help?  
New to the forum?

Already a member?
Please login below.

Forgot your password?
Need Help?