dexamethasone
1 Replies
AMITHIS - February 22

Dear Dr. Jacobs,

Do you routinely use steroids such as dex. or prednisone in your protocols and, if so, what dose and for how long?

I am preparing for a FET. Estimated transfer date is March 20. I started taking .75 mg of dexamethasone 3 days ago and am expected to stay on it up until the transfer then as much as another 4 or 5 weeks afterwards if it works.

The problem is I have not been able to get more than 3 hrs. of sleep a night since starting this medication. I take it between 6:30 and 7 AM but am still awake until 1 or 2 AM. I've always had a problem with waking in the very early morning around 4 or 5 AM but had always managed by going to sleep around 9 PM. Now, that is impossible. I don't know how I'm supposed to go on like this for such a long period of time.

I have a history of anxiety which I used to take xanax for ...had been doing okay for the past year but now feeling like that is being exacerbated as well.

Is it unusual to be having these kinds of problems with this med. and dose? I'm about 5'7" and 112-115 lbs. if that makes any difference.

Thanks,

Staci

B. Jacobs, M. D. - February 23

I do routinely use a steroid preparation prior to embryo transfer. I would not expect it to cause insomnia. It does sound as though stress is a problem for you, as it is for many others. I commonly encourage my patients to work with a counsellor for stress management. In our area, there are a few counsellors who have experience working with infertile couples.
Good luck.

You must log in to reply.

Are you New to the forum? Sign Up Here! Already a member? Please login below.

Forgot your password?
Need Help?  
New to the forum?

Already a member?
Please login below.

Forgot your password?
Need Help?