Day 3 FSH & post coital test
5 Replies
Dina - August 11

Dear Dr. Jacob,

I am 41. My period is regular (28-day) but turns very light on Day 3. Should I consider doing the Day 3 FSH test on Day 2?

What is your opinion on post coital test?

Thank you for your advice.

Dina

B. Jacobs, M. D. - August 12

At 42, your potential for a healthy pregnancy is a loong shot. Your risk of miscarriage is almost 35%, even if you do become pregnant, and you risk of a child with the wrong number of chromosomes is also high. You are far better served using donor egg. Having given you that information, if your FSH is not elevated and you have more than 4 follicle on each ovary, as seen using ultrasound, you may wish to try. I stopped doing post coital test years ago. They are not very useful.
Good luck.

Dina - August 14

Thank you for your advice. My ultrasound shows normal enlargement of follicle and endometrium thickness near ovluation. I understand the quality of the egg may be inferior at this age, unfortunately there is very little we can do about it, so we can only pray and hope.

1. Based on the systematic rise in my BBT on day 14-15 in each cycle, can I conclude that I ovulate normally?

2. Judging from my short period (very light on Day 3), should I test for FSH on Day 2 or Day 3?

3. In your professional opinion, do you recommend Ovulex?

Thank you very much.

Dina

B. Jacobs, M. D. - August 14

1. A rise of basal temperature does NOT assure ovulation. It is possible, fairly common, to go through all the hormonal changes of ovulation without releasing the egg.

2. First day of flow is cycle day 1. The length of flow will not effect testing.

3. I do not know enough about Ovulex to have a specific opinion. The only truly reliable products marketed for ovulation induction contain the hormone FSH. They are prescription items and need to be carefully monitored.

For more information, please see our web page, <www.texasfertility.com>.

Good luck.

Dina - August 16

Thank you so much for your enlightenment.

Is there anyway of detecting ovulation at home? Or we can only use ultrasound to detect if an egg has been released?

Many thanks,
Dina

B. Jacobs, M. D. - August 18

There are only 2 ways of reliably documenting ovulation. The most obvious is to become pregnant. The other is to identify a preovulatory size follicle, using ultrasound, and then see it disappear. The follicle rupture is ovulation.
Good luck.

You must log in to reply.

Are you New to the forum? Sign Up Here! Already a member? Please login below.

Forgot your password?
Need Help?  
New to the forum?

Already a member?
Please login below.

Forgot your password?
Need Help?