clomid and blocked tube?
4 Replies
jwshodge - June 12

I had an ectopic pregnancy 4 years ago. My tube was not removed and I was able to have another child. I am 35 and have been trying for over a year to get pregnant. I had an HSG last month and as expected the tube where I had the surgery was blocked. My OB thinks I could be ovulating only on the damaged side. Would clomid be an option here? Or would it only increase egg production on the damaged side? He also mentioned taking my ovary out (on the side with the damaged tube) to force the other side to function. He didn't mention clomid so I'm curious if that would be worth a shot first. All of my bloodwork indicates I am ovulating regularly and have regular cycles. (IVF is financially not an option.)

B. Jacobs, M. D. - June 13

I have not prescribed Clomid in almost 15 years. It is a very poor product, compared to everything else available. For more information, please see our web page, <www.texasfertility.com>. Also, I try to avoid removing ovaries.
Good luck.

jacki04 - June 13

Dr, Jacobs
You stated that you don't use clomid because it is a poor responder. What drugs do you use for women undergoing IUIs?

B. Jacobs, M. D. - June 13

I routinely use an FSH product when I am going to do an IUI. They are the only products proven to improve the probability of pregnancy with IUI. I have seen 1 data set which implies that Femara may work as well, but I have not seen supportive reporting.

B. Jacobs, M. D. - September 7

The treatment you need must be determined by a Reproductive Endocrinologist who has done a thorough evaluation of you and your husband. It makes no sense to use a protocol which has little or no chance of working, even if the alternative is an aggressive protocol.
Good luck.

You must log in to reply.

Are you New to the forum? Sign Up Here! Already a member? Please login below.

Forgot your password?
Need Help?  
New to the forum?

Already a member?
Please login below.

Forgot your password?
Need Help?