Cancelled IUI?
3 Replies
oct01 - March 17

Dr. Jacobs,

I just found out that my IUI has been cancelled because of a poor response and I'm very confused and worried about what this means. Your insight would be much appreciated.

I had 75 IU Follistim from CD 3-7. On CD 8, I had 4 follicles 12-13 mm, estradiol 270, good lining. I was instructed to take 37.5 IU Follistim on CD 9 and return for an ultrasound and blood test next day. On CD 10, my follicles had not progressed and my estradiol dropped to 127 with lining at 11.5 and my cycle was cancelled with no explanation for the sudden change.

I had four IUI's last year at a different clinic, 2 with letrozole and 2 with letrozole/follistim where I responded well and had no cancellations. I am 31 years old with all bood work and fertility tests within normal ranges.

Was this response normal? Should I be concerned?

Thanks for your help.

Barry Jacobs, M. D. - March 17

When your FSH dose was decreased, there was not enough FSH to continue stimulation of your follicles, so they "died". Most of my patients, I start on a higher dose (150 units) and try to get 3 to 4 follicles big enough to ovulate.
Good luck.

oct01 - March 20

Dr. Jacobs, in reviewing my medical records from a previous clinic, they had me take 150 IU as you mentioned and they also had me on Antagon and monitored my LH via bloodtests because I tended to surge early. I responded well to the protocol for all 4 IUI cycles.

My new RE had access to these records from last year but chose to put me on a different stimulation protocol with no monitoring of LH or use of Antagon.

Does this sound like an honest error or oversight on the part of my new RE? I have lost some faith in my doctor after having such a promising cycle cancelled and I'm not sure if I'm overreacting or if it is time to move on.

Thanks again for your input.

Barry Jacobs, M. D. - March 20

Actually, I do not use Antagon. I use Lupron, and do not need to monitor LH. There are a number of different protocols, and we each have our favorites.
Good luck.

You must log in to reply.

Are you New to the forum? Sign Up Here! Already a member? Please login below.

Forgot your password?
Need Help?  
New to the forum?

Already a member?
Please login below.

Forgot your password?
Need Help?