Brown Spotting After IVF?
3 Replies
BCStandridge - November 9

Good evening Dr. Jacobs,

Today is day 7 post embryo transfer. At about 9:30 last night my wife noticed a small amount of brown spotting after she urinated. This has continued lightly all day today. We contacted our IVF nurse and she said not to worry. However, she and our doctor say that about pretty much everything. I hoped that maybe you could shed some light on why this sometimes happens and what it really means? We are scheduled to have our blood pregnancy test on Monday the 13th, but I fear we would both go crazy with worry by then. Any information you could share would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance for your time...

~Clint Standridge

B. Jacobs, M. D. - November 9

The brown spotting is old blood, which has been in the vagina for some time - probably days. It may have come from the cervix. As long as there is not a frank bleed, and cramping, don't be alarmed.
Good luck.

BCStandridge - November 9

Dr. Jacobs,

Thank you very much for your quick response. If it is okay, I have a couple more questions. Is there a time frame for this to continue before we worry? Are there any changes that we should look out for? How long after implantation could the spotting still be noticed? I mean, since we had a 5th day transfer and typically implantation occurs at around the 7th day, could the spotting still be left over from that? Thank you again for your help. I can't tell you how much it helps to hear a straight answer from some one who knows what there talking about.

~Clint

B. Jacobs, M. D. - November 9

Spotting can occur throughout the pregnancy. Rarely is it a cause for concern. You just need to be evaluated by your physician.
Good luck.

You must log in to reply.

Are you New to the forum? Sign Up Here! Already a member? Please login below.

Forgot your password?
Need Help?  
New to the forum?

Already a member?
Please login below.

Forgot your password?
Need Help?