Blocked left fallopian tube
3 Replies
dsf - July 5

I had an HSG today and my doctor told me that my left fallopian tube is blocked, but the right one looks good. It appeared as though no dye at all was able to pass through the tube. She asked if I had ever had surgery and I said no. I had an inguinal hernia operation when I was a baby, but I didn't think that was relevant.

I am 30 years old and in good health. What are my options now for trying to conceive?

B. Jacobs, M. D. - July 5

Your options depend on where your tube is blocked. If it is blocked in the portion that passes through the uterine wall, it might be opened with a day surgery procedure. If it is blocked at the other end, or in the middle, your "good" tube may also be damaged. If that is the case, you are at risk for a tubal pregnancy. If you have 1 perfectly normal tube, stimulating your ovaries, so you have an excellent chance of at least 1 or 2 eggs is produced on your good side may be a reasonable effort. Ultimately, you may need IVF.
Good luck.

dsf - July 6

My doctor didn't say where it was blocked, but it appeared on the x-ray that no dye was getting out of the uterus on the left side. She tried additional dye just in case, but nothing happened.

What is the next step? Is there a non-invasive test to see how 'normal' my other tube is? Will she have to use a scope to go in and see where and what the damage is?

Thanks for all the info :)

B. Jacobs, M. D. - July 6

It may be possible to use a hysteroscope to open the blocked area of the tube.
Good luck.

You must log in to reply.

Are you New to the forum? Sign Up Here! Already a member? Please login below.

Forgot your password?
Need Help?  
New to the forum?

Already a member?
Please login below.

Forgot your password?
Need Help?