Birth Control Pills
1 Replies
Tweet - March 3

Hello Doctor! I have read that taking birth control pills for an extended amount of time during an IVF cycle, may cause over-suppression. Is this true?

I am scheduled for my next IVF cycle in early May. If I begin my next menstrual cycle within the next few days, my RE would like me to cycle for one complete month (3 weeks of active - 1 week placebos) and then begin a second cycle of birth control pills for 2 weeks - followed by Microdose Lupron and Bravelle. I assume the added month of birth control pills is to stay on schedule for our May IVF cycle.

Does over-suppression of the ovaries on birth control pills occur even when a woman completes a full cycle of birth control pills- meaning she has a menstrual cycle? Or, does over-suppression only occur when a woman stays on active pills for an extended period of time? I am a poor responder and am afraid that cycling on birth control pills for this long will cause over suppression.

Thanks!

Tweet

Barry Jacobs, M. D. - March 3

I have seen no data to indicate that being on birth control pills for more than 1 to 2 cycles will suppress ovarian response to FSH stimulation.
Good luck.

You must log in to reply.

Are you New to the forum? Sign Up Here! Already a member? Please login below.

Forgot your password?
Need Help?  
New to the forum?

Already a member?
Please login below.

Forgot your password?
Need Help?