beta hcg level
5 Replies
sow - February 11

Hi Dr Jacob,

This is my first ivf cycle. I am 30 yrs old. They retrieved 19 eggs and 15 fertilized. They decided on day 5 transfer as the embroys were looking good on day 3. I had 4 blasts on day 5 of which 1 embyro grade 5AA was tranferred. 3 blasts frozen on day 6.
My first beta HCG was today 1 week after the transfer.It came out to be 4.9.and the progesterone is 13.4. They told me that the pregnancy result is positive and I need to go back for checking the levels again on monday ie 3 days after.
I am extremely worried about the hcg level.How does it look to you? Do you think it looks positive

Thank you in advance.

sow

B. Jacobs, M. D. - February 11

The lab you are using must have a different assay than ours. In our lab the hCG has to be over 6 Iu/L to be positive.
Good luck.

B. Jacobs, M. D. - February 13

There is a long list of known possiblbe causes for failed implantation, and there are reasons we still do not know. In our lab, an hCG less than 6 Iu/L is negative.
Better luck next time.

sow - February 17

Hi Dr Jacob,

Now that my fresh cycle failed I guess my next step would be to try a FET. But I was diappointed to know that it has only a 30% chance. I have 7 Blasts frozen of which 5 are good.

Is the % less in a frozen cycle b'cos of the damage that can happen to the blasts during freezing and thawing? Or is there any other reason?
What is the health risk posed to babies born in a FET as against a fresh transfer?

Regards,
Sow

B. Jacobs, M. D. - February 17

There is no identifiable difference between the babies of FET and any other means of becoing pregnant. Typically we transfer the best embryos in the fresh cycle and freeze what is left over. In our program, our FET pregnancy rate is closer to 40%.
Good luck.

B. Jacobs, M. D. - February 20

There is some discussion as to the value of that testing, but it is controvercial. At least 1 study reported data implying thaty the NK cells in blood are different from those in the endometrium. I do not know if blood testing will provide a reliable answer. In my mind, a greater probability is your not producing an adhehsion molecule felt to be important for embryo implantation. For more information, please see our web page, <www.texasfertility.com>.
Good luck.

You must log in to reply.

Are you New to the forum? Sign Up Here! Already a member? Please login below.

Forgot your password?
Need Help?  
New to the forum?

Already a member?
Please login below.

Forgot your password?
Need Help?