been off of depo for 5 months
8 Replies
Shannon3016 - July 18

I've been off the depo shot for 5 months now. I got my first period in May. Then 23 days later I had another one. The past two periods have been between 13-15 days apart. I've had a total of 4 periods so far. But my question is am I ovulating every time I have a period.

B. Jacobs, M. D. - July 18

Women who ovulate regularly have regular periods every 28 days. I would have to guess you are not ovulating.
Good luck.

Shannon3016 - July 19

Thanks for the information. Is this pretty normal for my periods to be that irregular. My doctor said that it was. Do you have any idea how long this might go on? I've been on depo for three years. I have two children ages 7 and 5. I was on the pill prior to having them. I assume that it's a good thing that I'm having periods. My concern is that of course you only hear the bad stories about trying to conceive after depo. I know of a few people that it took anywhere between 2-3 years just to conceive.

jiggidysgirl - July 19

Hi Shannon,

I am not the doctor of course but I also had difficulty after depo. First, is 5 months after your last shot or 5 months after you ended the 3 months from your last shot? Because it might only be really 2 months that it has been out of your body.

I was on depo for 10 years before I started to try. It took 2 years to get pregnant. I continued to have ovulation issues. The best thing that my doctor did was put me on the pill to regulate my periods for a few months. That really helped. It also helped because depo puts a lot of hormones in you that can make you feel emotional when you get off it. I finally ended up taking medication to ovulate and an IUI to get pregnant but I was on depo for much longer than you.

Good luck, let me know if I can answer any questions from my experience.

~Heather

Shannon3016 - July 19

[quote author=jiggidysgirl link=board=5;threadid=2716;start=0#22397 date=1153335882]
Hi Shannon,

I am not the doctor of course but I also had difficulty after depo. First, is 5 months after your last shot or 5 months after you ended the 3 months from your last shot? Because it might only be really 2 months that it has been out of your body.

I was on depo for 10 years before I started to try. It took 2 years to get pregnant. I continued to have ovulation issues. The best thing that my doctor did was put me on the pill to regulate my periods for a few months. That really helped. It also helped because depo puts a lot of hormones in you that can make you feel emotional when you get off it. I finally ended up taking medication to ovulate and an IUI to get pregnant but I was on depo for much longer than you.

Good luck, let me know if I can answer any questions from my experience.

~Heather<
br>[/quote]

H
i
thanks for the info. I was scheduled to go in for another shot in February and didn't go. My doctor gave me a progesterone shot in March to help bring on the periods.

jiggidysgirl - July 20

Hey Shannon,

From what I was told it takes 12-18 months to get your regular cycle back. I am sure the progesterone shot started your period but maybe not your cycle. That is why my doctor tried to help it along with cycles of the pill. It did help because before that I was all over the place with my cycle. The pill does not seem to take very long to lose the affect and get pregnant.

I had trouble with ovulating after being on depo for so long so my situation is different in that respect. Hopefully a little more time and your cycles will be back to normal.

Good Luck and Baby Dust to you,
Heather

Shannon3016 - July 20

How long were you off the shot before you went on the pill? Were your periods similar to mine. The reason why I'm asking is because I'm considering making another appt with my OB to see if I have any options.
T

[quote author=jiggidysgirl link=board=5;threadid=2716;start=0#22488 date=1153419559]
Hey Shannon,

From what I was told it takes 12-18 months to get your regular cycle back. I am sure the progesterone shot started your period but maybe not your cycle. That is why my doctor tried to help it along with cycles of the pill. It did help because before that I was all over the place with my cycle. The pill does not seem to take very long to lose the affect and get pregnant.

I had trouble with ovulating after being on depo for so long so my situation is different in that respect. Hopefully a little more time and your cycles will be back to normal.

Good Luck and Baby Dust to you,
Heather
[/quote]

jiggidysgirl - July 20

I was probably off depo the same about of time as you have been. My periods were long and would not stop. I would only have a week or two off and start again. So, mine were the opposite of yours from what I understand. I also had trouble with losing the hormones from the depo shot.

It is such a frustrating process after getting off depo. I did not realize how difficult it would be.

You might ask your ob about those options but from all the reading I did the 12-18 months is very common. So, it would not hurt to be on the pill for a few months to make sure your making good use of your time getting your cycle in check. That is extremely important.

I finally went on clomid to ovulate (which this doctor will not advocate) but it caused my cycles to be right on. I still had to combine it with the IUI later on but it worked.

Hopefully you won't have to go that far and just the wait and getting your cycles in order will get you where you want to be.

Shannon3016 - July 21

My periods last anywhere from 5-7 days which from what I can remember was long for me. Might I say that they are very strange, just when you think that you might be done, you're not. Lately if you go on the day that I started my period I'm only getting a week in between right now it's been 11 days since the first day of my last period. So we'll see I guess if it happens again I'm going to make an appt with my OB.

You must log in to reply.

Are you New to the forum? Sign Up Here! Already a member? Please login below.

Forgot your password?
Need Help?  
New to the forum?

Already a member?
Please login below.

Forgot your password?
Need Help?