Baseline Cyst
1 Replies
meridithhasfaith - June 8

Hi Dr. Jacobs

I apparently have a lovely rather large cyst on my right ovary that was found during my baseline scan this morning. I am on bcp (supposed to have been my last day today but has since changed) in preparation for an antagon cycle of IVF w/ ICSI.
I sort of knew I would have a cyst as I did with my last cycle on bcp and Lupron. They made me wait for 2 days back then and checked again and the cyst was gone. I started stims then. This time, (new clinic) they told me to continue bcp for a week and then come back in for another scan and b/w. I don't know the E2 from today but I assume it was high since I was put off for a week.
My questions are...can bcp cause cysts? The nurse told me they use them to help prevent cysts but so far, I am 0 for 2 on that front. Second question, what do you think of the plan they put me on? (the waiting a whole week to re-check?) Seems a little long to me but I don't have the will to fight it. I guess I am just hoping this extra week-which will make 26 days on bcp-wont oversupress me? Ok, that's 3 questions. Thanks in advance when you have time to answer.

Meridith

Barry Jacobs, M> D. - June 8

I am unaware of any data to indicate that birth control pills cause cysts. Inded, they usually decrease the risk of cyst formation. In young women, as you, 98% of ovarian cysts go away with no treatment at all. The only treatments which make them go away faster are surgery, and cyst aspiration, which I do rarely, in the office.
Good luck.

You must log in to reply.

Are you New to the forum? Sign Up Here! Already a member? Please login below.

Forgot your password?
Need Help?  
New to the forum?

Already a member?
Please login below.

Forgot your password?
Need Help?