back pains and beta values
2 Replies
JANE ALLERTON - February 14

Hello Dr. Jacobs:

Had a beta value of 161 on 2/5 and then a value of 490 on 2/9 (8AM each time). I plugged it into the beta calculator on line which popped out a "half-life" value of 2.49 rather than the perfect 2 or doubling that I've read about. I had my retrieval on 1/19. So things seem slow and worrisome as far as the beta hCG goes....

Only other concern of note is these strange back pains that spike in for an half hour and then disappear without me doing anything. I'm 43 and going for an ultrasound next week. What are your thoughts please? Thank you for your assessment. Jane

B. Jacobs, M. D. - February 14

We want to see the hCG level at least double in 48 hours. The interval you described is closer to 96 hours. Although that does not mean you do not have a good pregnancy, it does not provide any assurance of one, either. I cannot explain your back pain, unless it is uterine cramping.
Good luck.

JANE ALLERTON - February 15

Hello Dr. Jacobs: Please forgive my seeking clarification on the "doubling" math here....if my beta on 2/5/07 (a Monday) was 161 and then the doubling in 48 hours would put it on 2/7/07 (a Wednes) at a theoretical 322 and then doubling again in another 48 hours to 2/9/07 (a Friday) results in 644....

So my beta jump of 161 to 490 in those 2 x 48 hour units is about 75% of the perfect target of "2" ?? Or what am I missing when I use the beta calculator on-line? I am failing to do the math to see 96 hours as you mention....but again I am just so tired, I may not be seeing straight here....Thanks again for your clarification.

You must log in to reply.

Are you New to the forum? Sign Up Here! Already a member? Please login below.

Forgot your password?
Need Help?  
New to the forum?

Already a member?
Please login below.

Forgot your password?
Need Help?