Auto immune disorder and IVF tx
1 Replies
4everhopeful - January 12

Dear Dr Jacobs,

Last year I tested positive to the gene HLA- B27.
After suffering from flare ups of back pain and stiffness after resting, I was initally told by my rheumatologist that I could possibly have Ankylosing Spondilitis :-\ My brother also suffers from this condition. But my doctor now thinks I may have Rhuematoid Arthritis ???

As these are auto immune disorders, could this have a negative effect on my IVF tx?

I've recently had my third failed cycle (10 eggs, 8 embryo's, 2 grade 1.5, 5 cell embryo's transfered on day 2). I took 1mg of dexamethasone daily during stims and the 2ww, and thought this would have been enough to stop any possible immunological reaction to the embryo's :-\

I've heard humira is often given to IVF patients with auto immune disorders... should I ask my RE about taking it next time? (I didn't tell them about my A/S)

Many thanks,

Nat :)

Barry Jacobs, M. D. - January 13

I am not familiar with the brand name, Humira. If it immune globulin, given intravenously, there are no data, except from 1 group of investigators, that it is of benefit. So far, no one has been able to duplicate their results. For that reason, the treatment is considered unproven. There is a certain risk to that treatment. A single treatment is derived from 750 donors. That provides the risk of 750 transfusions. Most main stream Reproductive Endocrinologists do not use it.
Good luck.

You must log in to reply.

Are you New to the forum? Sign Up Here! Already a member? Please login below.

Forgot your password?
Need Help?  
New to the forum?

Already a member?
Please login below.

Forgot your password?
Need Help?