Ashermans' Syndrome?
3 Replies
Cathryn - January 5

Hello Dr.,
4 years ago I gave birth to my daughter 4 weeks early. shes healthy. problem is, i retained a portion of the placenta, and didnt know for a month. by the time she was a month old my blood volume was 7. of course i had a D&C and tranfusions, once i stopped bleeding i didnt have a period for more than 2 years. I had the cramps, etc. no bleeding. over the last 2 years the bleeding has started and eventually has returned to almost normal, . i think i may have ashermans sydrome. my question is.. does it ever get better on its own> does it always require surgery?
Thanks. Cathryn. :)

B. Jacobs, M. D. - January 6

By strict defintion, Asherman's syndrome is complete obliteration of the uterine cavity. Commonly, scarring in the cavity from D&C is referred to the same way. It is possible you have scarring over the outflow tract of the uterine cavity, and there is now a channel where menstrual blood can exit. The least invasive way to evaluate your uterine cavity is a PROPERLY performed HSG. Unfortunately, very few radiologist perform the study in a manner that provides adequate information about the uterine cavity.
Good luck.

Cathryn - February 12

ok, today my dr sent me for a pelvic/vaginal ultrasound and my uterus was not stuck together as ive sometimes heard with ashermans, but, there was fluid in my uterus. it looked like an early gestation sac, but i know im not pregnant as i just finished my cycle on the 8th. it was light but that is normal for me since the retained placenta. i havent heard from my dr and im climbing the walls. my question is, ive heard of a type of ashermans that is difficult to treat, called "unstuck" ashermans. does this typically present with fluid? i live in a small town and im worried they wont know what to do. the lady doing the ultrasound looked baffled. she must have asked me a dozen times when my last pregnancy test was, and was talking about debris. what would you reccomend i do next?

thanks so much!

B. Jacobs, M. D. - February 13

Without seeing your uterine cavity or participating in your care, I cannot provide valid recommendations. You will have to speak with your physician. Call and ask.
Good luck.

You must log in to reply.

Are you New to the forum? Sign Up Here! Already a member? Please login below.

Forgot your password?
Need Help?  
New to the forum?

Already a member?
Please login below.

Forgot your password?
Need Help?  
Ask a Question