Antral Follicle Count
5 Replies
cat mommy - April 12

I am 36 with Day 3 FSH 6.4 and Day 10 FSH of 9.1. I have two questions:

After 3 weeks of BCP, I had an ultrasound that showed only 4 antral follicles. Everywhere I have read, 4 antral follicles is a really low number and not good for IVF response. Is this the proper measure to use when counting follicles after suppression?

Is it a bad sign that my day 10 FSH didn't get back down to 6.4?

Thank you.

B. Jacobs, M. D. - April 12

An antral follicle count is probably not valid after being on birth control pills for more than a couple of weeks.
Good luck.

Tanya1231 - April 15

So do BCP's lower the antral follicle count? I had a recent count of four and responded poorly to stims. Could it be that the antral follicle count was low because I was on BCP's for 4 weeks prior?

B. Jacobs, M. D. - April 15

It is not likely that the birth control pills will have very much effect on the antral follicle count, if the ovaries are well visualized with ultrasound.
Good luck.

Tanya1231 - April 15

You had answered earlier in a reply the the follicle count was probably not valid after being on BCP's for a couple of weeks. Why is that?

B. Jacobs, M. D. - April 16

Birth control pills decrease the release of FSH and LH from the pituitary. After follicles reach a certain size, the follicles repond to FSH and continue to grow. While they are still very small, they grow without FSH stimulation. Without FSH to promote further growth, they may be too small to identify with ultrasound, but I cannot predict to what extent small follicles may or may not be visible. Therefore, the decreased reliability.

You must log in to reply.

Are you New to the forum? Sign Up Here! Already a member? Please login below.

Forgot your password?
Need Help?  
New to the forum?

Already a member?
Please login below.

Forgot your password?
Need Help?