Antagon vs. Lupron
3 Replies
beans - March 24

What are the benefits/drawbacks of Lupron v. Antagon? Under what circumstances would you recommend Antagon instead of Lupron. It is my understanding lupron is the typical protocol at most clinics. Does lupron typically produce better quality eggs?

Barry Jacobs, M. D. - March 24

I tried Antagon a few years ago. We did not do well with it. Perhaps there is a better protocol than the one I was using, but pregnancy rates were so poor, I no longer use it.
Good luck.

beans - March 25

Were the poor pregnancy rates due to the embryo quality and/or egg quantity?
Im 32, unexplained fertility, 3 failed IVFs, Both had genetic testing
1st - Lupron/Gonal F, 17 retreived, 8 fertilized, very poor embryo qulaity, all stopped dividing 2-4 cells, transferred 4 on day 3.
2nd - Lupron/Gonal F, 21 retreived, much better quality, 6-8 cells, embryologist only wanted to transfer 3 not 4. Day 3 transfer. None left over to freeze.
3rd @ new clinic - Antagon/Follistim, 24 retrieved, 18 mature, 14 fertilized correctly, I had 10 grade 1 and 2 embryos on day 3. By day 5, I had 4 compacted morulas. Transferred 4.
Im planning on doing another cycle; we were going to try lupron/follistim this time. I was doing alternative medicine and herbs during the last 2 cycles. Im not sure if that had anything to do with the improvement but will continue with it just in case.
Any thoughts or opinions on my situation regarding the lurpon v. antagon.
Thanks for your help.

Barry Jacobs, M. D. - March 25

As I recall, we had poor embryo developement with Antagon.
Good luck.

You must log in to reply.

Are you New to the forum? Sign Up Here! Already a member? Please login below.

Forgot your password?
Need Help?  
New to the forum?

Already a member?
Please login below.

Forgot your password?
Need Help?