? Laproscopic tube repair question
1 Replies
Laproscopic or IVF - January 24

Hi Dr. Jacobs,
Background: my husband and I have been ttc for 5 years. I am 33 and he is 42. I have a 14 yo daughter from prior marriage and my husband has no prior children/pregnancies. I had "silent" chlamydia infection in 1996 that was untreated for over a year. I have been diagnosed with tube blockage/damage on both sides. Prior to getting the tubal diagnosis, we tried 3 cycles with Clomid (unmonitored) and it was only after changing doctors and getting a repeat HSG that my tubal problems were diagnosed. Husband's SA is normal. We were given the option of trying tubal repair by laproscopic surgery or going straight to IVF. Because I have no insurance coverage for IVF, we opted to try the lap procedure first. My RE told us that it will be an involved procedure and we may still end up doing IVF in the end.

My questions are (1) how soon following the lap surgery will we be able to resume ttc ? (2) how long should we try to conceive post-lap before considering proceding to IVF? Finally, are tube repair surgeries generally successful? My doctor doesn't seen so encouraging but I dont know if he would just prefer that we move straight to IVF.

Its been a long wait so far and we are eager to move forward. Unfortuantely, finances dictate that we at least try the lap surgery.

We look forward to your response.

Barry Jacobs, M. D. - January 24

Your question is better directed to the person who wants to do your surgery. I stopped doing that kind of surgery, once in vitro fertilization became as successful as it is, in our hands. If you had Chlamydia bad enough to block your tubes, the tubal lining is damaged. You are at risk for a tubal pregnancy. I would suggest you follow the advici of your RE, and do IVF. it is safer.
Good luck.

You must log in to reply.

Are you New to the forum? Sign Up Here! Already a member? Please login below.

Forgot your password?
Need Help?  
New to the forum?

Already a member?
Please login below.

Forgot your password?
Need Help?