8-9 Embryos Made it to Blast But Stopped Growing
1 Replies
angttc#1 - December 15

Dear Doctor,

First thank you so much for being a part of this website and providing a forum for people like me who are TTC and need some sage advice. I am in the middle of my first IVF cycle. I am 36 years old and my DH is 42 years old. We got pregnant on our first Clomid IUI cycle a year ago, but it was ectopic. At any rate, we just went through what looked like a picture perfect cycle. I stimmed for 12 days on Gonal-F and used Lupron and they retrieved 25 eggs, 19 of which fertilized. Three days after retrieval, all 19 were still dividing and the majority were of good to high quality. My RE decided to take us to a 5-day transfer. On day 5, the embryologists said that all of the embryos were still dividing, but they were really watching only 8 or 9 as candidates for freezing. They had already picked out the 2 best blastocysts (which were at an early stage of development, but were expanding and you could see the trophoblast cells clearly, but I could not see an inner cell mass. I think they were starting to develop. At any rate, they transferred two and everything went well. Then, today, the director of the embryology lab called to say that the 8 or 9 embryos they were watching did not make it to freeze. They did not develop the inner cell mass. What could have gone wrong here? Does this portend that the embryos they transferred will not continue to grow? We are so upset given the number initially fertilized. Any thoughts you have would be greatly appreciated. Our concern is that the embryos they transferred will do the same thing as the embryos in the lab...thank you, Ang.

B. Jacobs, M. D. - December 15

Thgere is really no way to predict what teh 2 which were transferred will do, based on those that were not. They are all different individuals. Remember, they chose the 2 which they felt looked like the best. I cannot tell you why the embryos did not survive in the lab. That is a question for the director of that lab.
Good luck.

You must log in to reply.

Are you New to the forum? Sign Up Here! Already a member? Please login below.

Forgot your password?
Need Help?  
New to the forum?

Already a member?
Please login below.

Forgot your password?
Need Help?