0% morphology and Unmedicated IUI
3 Replies
HopefulforBaby - February 5

Hello Dr Jacobs, Thanks for taking the time to answer questions. Great board!

My DH had a V reveral 13 months ago. His recent SA (Kruger) revealed 31MM sperm, 0.5 volume, 39% motility and 0% morphology. I am 39 yo, have an FSH of 5.2 and have been pregnant (miscarried) before. I also ovulate regularly on the 15th/16th of ea month and use the OPK to monitor.

Questions:
1) Can morphology be improved?

2) Have you seen unmedicated IUIs be successful for this situation?

3) What are our other options besides IVF/ICSI (money and fear of multiples is holding us back)

Thanks very much!

B. Jacobs, M. D. - February 6

Do not worry about multiple pregnancy with IVF-ICSI. I do not believe that is an issue in a reputable program, any more. In our program we trans fer 2 emryos and only 10% to 15% of our pregnancies are twins. We have not had triplets or more.

Based on the information you provided, your chance of a successful pregnancy with anything other than ICSI is almost non existant. IUI, especially unmedicated IUI is a waste of your money with 0% normal forms.
Good luck.

HopefulforBaby - February 6

Thank you for the response. Hoping to get one more response on this question:

1) Can 0% morphology be improved?

B. Jacobs, M. D. - February 6

That depaeds on the reason for the morphology problem. Sometimes, if the problem is caused by varicoceles, repair of the varicoceles may improve morphology. You may still need ICSI.
Good luck.

You must log in to reply.

Are you New to the forum? Sign Up Here! Already a member? Please login below.

Forgot your password?
Need Help?  
New to the forum?

Already a member?
Please login below.

Forgot your password?
Need Help?