More and more couples throughout the United States are now facing fertility issues. Many of these couples resort to conventional fertility treatments, including IUI and IVF to become pregnant. Often, fertility treatment helps these couples to conceive and deliver a beautiful baby. Unfortunately, though, fertility treatments are not always successful. If you and your partner are having troubles getting pregnant even with fertility treatments, you may want to consider embryo donation. Embryo donation can help offer infertile couples the chance to carry a pregnancy to term and to welcome a new member into the family.
What is Embryo Donation?Embryo donation is seen as an alternative route to pregnancy. It helps couples that would otherwise be unable to conceive, carry a pregnancy to term. A relatively new procedure, embryo donation involves using another couple’s embryos in order to conceive. These donated embryos are then transferred into your uterus using frozen embryo transfer. Embryo donation is chosen by many couples who are unable to afford conventional reproductive treatments or who have been unsuccessful with IVF treatments.
Types of Embryo DonationThere are two types of embryo donation:
- Frozen Embryo Donation: Frozen embryo donation involves using frozen embryos donated by another infertile couple. Many couples go through IVF treatments in order to get pregnant. Typically, 12 embryos are created for each IVF treatment. Yet, only three of these embryos are ever implanted. Many couples choose to donate their remaining frozen embryos to couples who are having trouble conceiving.
- Embryo Creation: Embryo creation involves using a donated egg and a donated sperm to create an embryo. This embryo will not be biologically related to you. The resulting embryo is then transferred into your uterus.
Success Rates of Embryo DonationTypical success rates with embryo donation range from about 16% to 20% per transfer. However, success rates will fluctuate depending upon the quality of the embryo that is being used.
Who Can Benefit From Embryo Donation?Embryo donation can be of great benefit to couples facing specific fertility problems. Embryo donation is commonly used when both partners are experiencing fertility issues. Embryo donation is often pursued by couples experiencing problems with:
- egg production and ovulation
- sperm count and production
Embryo donation can also be used by couples who:
- can’t afford or can’t pursue adoption
- can’t afford more expensive fertility treatments
- have been unsuccessful with other forms of ART
- are at high risk of passing down genetic disorders but cannot pursue PGD